Thursday, November 6, 2008

Big Night of Music

I went to the Amos Lee concert at the Madison Theater. I got there late, so I only caught the last few songs by Mutlu. Amos Lee and band were awesome though. I was kind of annoyed by all the girls screaming and singing but what can you do - they were hot. They're a little bit different live than on CD, because they tend to expand/jam on their songs a bit. They covered nearly all of the material on the two releases they have. The show ended about 10:30.

I figured The Tillers would still be playing in the lounge at the Southgate House, so I headed over to Newport. I'm not sure what I missed (they were scheduled to start around 9 pm) but they played till around 12:30 am, so I saw what I think was all their material from Ludlow Street Rag, plus a bunch of covers, including some Woody Guthrie songs, and even some songs dating back to the 1500's, which they noted. Their music gets my feet tapping and I accidently spilled one of their beer's, and the barkeep was kind enough to give me a replacement PBR for him.

The Tillers are one of my newer favorite local bands and if you live in the tristate and love live music you should definitely check them out. They're up for a CEA Award this year, and this month, they are the Southgate House's Artist in Residency every Wednesday beginning at 9 pm in the lounge. The shows are free and they'll be having some guests joining them for the remaining three shows they have. Next week they have Mark Utley and Magnolia Mountain opening for them. They also play the last Sunday of every month at the Northside Tavern.

No comments: