Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stars and Bell X1 at Southgate House

Although I knew very little about these two rising bands, what I did know was that I would regret it if I didn't go see them. What I have found over the years is that, the best place to discover new music is by actually going to see a band live.

Opening the night was Ireland's Bell X1. They've been around for nearly ten years, have released three critically-acclaimed albums, and are rapidly gaining success in the United States. Their music has been featured on television shows such as The O.C. and Grey's Anatomy. They were once known as Juniper, a band that included none other than Damien Rice. It was after Rice's departure, that they became a four-piece known as Bell X1.

Here is some video I shot of Bell X1's performance:




Next up was a fine indie product out of Canada, otherwise known as Stars. In more recent years, Canada has dominated the indie scene with bands such as Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Wolf Parade, Tegan and Sara, Islands, The Dears, The Stills, Black Mountain, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and You Say Party! We Say Die! I could keep listing bands, but this isn't a history lesson on the Canadian Indie scene.

Three of Stars members also play in Broken Social Scene. At one point last night, Stars broke into The Flaming Lips, "Do You Realize?"

No comments: