Friday, October 3, 2008

Adams & the Cardinals Rock the Taft

Just got back from the Ryan Adams show. Wish I would've taken my digital camera - I saw several people up front with theirs, but I guess security doesn't check people anymore.

Full Setlist:

Cobwebs
Everybody Knows
Come Pick Me Up
Wonderwall (Oasis Cover)
Fix It
La Cienga Just Smiled
Goodnight Rose
Sun Also Sets
Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.
Magick
Desire
Let It Ride
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Love Is Hell
Crossed Out Name
Afraid Not Scared
Natural Ghost
Two
Rescue Blues
Sink Ships
When Stars Go Blue
How Do You Keep Love Alive
Shakedown on 9th Street
Mockingbird
Off Broadway
Note to Self: Please Don't Die
Cold Roses
Bartering Lines
Meadowlake Street
This Is It

Quick Notes:

There wasn't definitely a lot more rock tonight than country, with Ryan taking nearly all of the leads, at times even making a sound reminscent of Jerry Garcia, with the Cardinals turning into the Grateful Dead.

A little bit of their Alt. Country sound was still visible with Jon Graboff mastering the pedal steel.
They even got heavy at times, showing Ryan's love for 80's Hair Metal & Glam Rock - Ryan was sporting a black Dio t-shirt.

Overall, the setlist was amazing. A lot of new material, coming out on Cardinology at the end of the month.

I was kind of suprised (but very happy) to hear songs like La Cienga, Desire and Come Pick Me Up.

They played over 30 songs, for nearly 2 1/2 hours, only stopping a few minutes before the encore.

A couple times during the night, fans shouted for Halloweenhead, but Ryan only tricked us by "sort-of" singing a couple of lines from the song.

Wish I had some pics or video for you, I would've had some great shots, because I was in the third row left center, with a clear shot of Ryan, only about 15-20 feet away.

This was one of the best shows I've seen over the past several years.

YouTube Videos

Although I didn't take my digital camera to the show, I couldn't resist searching around YouTube for some 2008 Ryan Adams shows, specifically the Cincinnati show. I can't find anything from the Taft Theatre just yet, but here are some more recent videos of their current tour. Enjoy!

Cobwebs (new song)

La Cienga Just Smiled

Sink Ships (new song)

Everybody Knows

Come Pick Me Up - Jon Graboff giving them their country sound on the pedal steel.

Goodnight Rose - feels a little bit like Neil Young and the Grateful Dead.

Let It Ride - pedal steel again.

Why Do They Leave - more Neil sounding.

Cold Roses - more Dead sounding.


To Sum It All Up:

At times, when you're watching Ryan & the Cardinals up there, it sounds as if you're listening to Neil Young front the Grateful Dead as if they were experimenting in country music, rather than other things.

No comments: