Monday, October 27, 2008

Joseph Arthur/Jennifer O' Connor - Molly Malone's - Last Night

Although I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life, it wasn't until last night that I made my first trip to Molly Malone's (formerly Jack Quinn's).

I've been to Irish pubs before, so I knew what to expect, as far as drinks go.

What I wasn't sure about, was how this "rather-small" venue would host a "not-so-small" concert like Joseph Arthur. Another "not-so-small" name, Justin Townes Earle, played here a little while back.

Needless to say, this place is one of my new favorites to catch a show in town (sorry, but you'll never beat out the Southgate House).

Molly Malone's third floor (where the shows are) reminded me of a much nicer and bigger York St. Cafe.

I'm not a huge fan of Joseph Arthur, I don't know all of his material by heart, but I love music and respect what he does, musically and artistically (at one time I was an artist myself, but I've been in a little bit of a creative block for some time).

It was the song, In the Sun, which made me an Arthur fan. I think I either heard it first on the tv show, Scrubs, or it may have been on NPR's World Cafe. So I wasn't really sure what his setlist would consist of (Arthur is also a writing machine much like Ryan Adams, releasing nearly every single thing he writes, which can be good in a way).

I was really intrigued by the opener, Jennifer O' Connor. She's perfect for fans of Over the Rhine and Kim Taylor, her angelic voice sounding as if she could be Kim's long lost sister.

No comments: