Friday, October 24, 2008

Back to Back Nights at the Southgate House

On Wednesday night there were quite a few bands playing at the Southgate House. One of those shows, was a solo guitar show, from one of the members of The Sundresses (sorry, I don't know your name - it's either Brad or Remy).

The first song he played was Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and because of my more recent discovery of this song (didn't hear it until a couple years ago), I was beyond happy, and waiting to see what else he had in store. Amazing set man!

Downstairs in the ballroom, I caught one of Cincinnati's finest americana/bluegrass bands in Mark Utley and Magnolia Mountain. Later on, Railroad Earth would completely blow me away.

I saw a bit of Railroad Earth at Bonnaroo 2007, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling their set that day. I wasn't as into these types of music as I am today, so that may have played a factor.

What my second RRE show brought, was very unexpected, but I was quickly sold on what they were bringing this night.

During a number of times throughout the show, I told myself that this was one of the best live band's I've ever seen. I'm not sure what it is about bluegrass music, but it seems like the band's who put on the best live shows, are usually bluegrass/americana style.

Listening to Railroad Earth, I could hear bits of the Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, String Cheese Incident and Leftover Salmon.

They've been quite a hit on the festival market the past few year's, and it won't be long until they're a staple act in that scene.

Another Show

Earlier tonight, I caught Mike Fair and the Adventure Seekers killer (and free) set in a nearly empty lounge. At one point in the show, Jeff and Misty Perholtz, from The Newbees, came up on stage, replacing Mike Fair. Jeff was playing electric guitar, and his solo's seemed to me, that they fell somewhere in between Trey Anastasio and Tim Reynolds, if you can imagine either of those two playing classic rock songs.

Although The Newbees aren't a bluesy band, this husband and wife team possesses the musical skills to be whatever they want. The first song they played was "Me and Bobby McGee", and Misty showed the few of us there, that she has the vocal talent and range similar to Janis Joplin.

No comments: