Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Go See A Show Tonight...

...at the Southgate House!

Whoever's running the booking down there, they sure know what they're doing, and they do it well. They know what bands to get, and when to get them. I promise you this, you will never see a bad show there.

Tonight's headliner, Parachute Musical, comes from the music city of Nashville, Tennessee.
An Indie-Rock band from a Country music city, these boys are creating entertaining, upbeat, high energy, piano-based pop songs in the country. They're getting rave reviews across the midwest as well as their home state, along with cities like Chicago and St. Louis. They've drawn comparisons to The Decemberists, Ben Folds, Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright.

Joining Parachute Musical tonight, are The Seedy Seeds and Oso Closo.

The Seeds are a local favorite who are peaking, and in my opinion, are currently performing at the top of their game. With a somewhat-new album, a new band member in drummer Brian, The Seedy Seeds are only a few weeks away from making their debut at one of the biggest musical festivals in the country, Austin's South by Southwest.

Speaking of Texas, opening the show is a multi-genre rock band from Dallas, Oso Closo. Aside from rock and pop, the quintet also brings in elements of bluegrass, jazz and prog to create a unique and bold musical style.

I was reading some kind words I found on their homepage. Jim Heath of Reverend Horton Heat has said they were "remarkble." He says they can "write, arrange, sing and play in a league that only a few get to - with a lot of hard work and talent." The Rev. also says he likes "how the guitars can sometimes go off into the land of Brian May from Queen. It's all kind of a mind blower. Check 'em out."

Now, I won't check this band out just because Rev. Horton Heat said so. I don't base my musical interests on what other people like. I'll check this band out because I simply love music and I love hearing a band for the first time in concert.

I'm making this my "Show of the Day" (in the Cincinnati area) because it is the best concert happening in the area tonight. I already know that if it's happening at the Southgate House, it's going to be a good show.

Doors open at 8 pm, and the show starts at 9 pm, downstairs in the ballroom. It's $5 for 21 and up, and $8 if you're 18-20 years old.

No comments: