Monday, March 30, 2009

Bonnaroo 2009 Artist

(Est. 1994, Chicago, IL)
The Band
Jeff Tweedy - lead vocals, guitar
Nels Cline - guitar
Glenn Kotche - percussion
Pat Sansone - multi-instrumentalist

Genres
Alternative Rock, Alternative Country, Folk Rock, Experimental Rock

Other Artists You May Like

Bonnaroo Artists You May Like

My Thoughts
It wasn't until I heard Sky Blue Sky, that I really fell in love with this band. However, the first album I bought by the band was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which I purchased at some point during the same year it was released (2002). Over the next five years, that album would basically sit in its CD case, with very, very minimal listens.

Sky Blue Sky was an album that sparked wonder and curiousity for me, involving all of their previous efforts. This is what led me back to YHF, as well as their complete discography, including the double-live album, Kicking Television.

It wasn't until Bonnaroo 2007, when I got to experience first hand, what a Wilco show was all about. There was something about that day, that show, that environment, that somehow I was able to achieve a pure state of peace of mind during their performance.

No, it wasn't any crazy drugs or anything like that. Something happened that day, something that had never happened to me (music related or non-music related). For the first time in my life, I could honestly say that I felt a truthful and complete state of euphoria.

Since then, I have only seen Wilco one other time - August 2007, at Louisville's Slugger Field. Although it didn't feel the same as that Bonnaroo performance, overall, they played a better and longer show.

So maybe I haven't been a fan for a long time. Maybe I haven't seen them in concert, as many times as I would like or as many times as I've seen other bands. But I can honestly say that there is something in Tweedy's voice, something in his lyrics, in the band's music, the sound, the way they can change from the country, folk sound, to the alternative, experimental sound.

Somehow I just really connect with this band, in a way only few bands can do for me. Although its only been a short amount of time, Wilco has quickly earned a spot among my top five favorite bands of all-time.






No comments: